Thursday, September 1, 2011

Melbourne July 19

Exploring Melbourne on my own - July 19
I said good bye to the rest of the gang as they were heading off to Phillips Island to see the fairy penguins.  Then I headed to Queen Victoria Market to explore the shops.  They had a variety of foods from deli meats, cheese, veggie stalls, & bakery, then a whole section with clothes, souvenirs, luggage, purses and jewelery.

Made my way over to the City Circle Tram a few blocks away.  I did the full loop around Melbourne listening to the history of the city.  Lots of new buildings mixed in with the old, similar to Sydney.  I got off the tram a few times to look around, first at Flagstaff Gardens and then I walked to St. James Church.  Eventually I made it to the Harbour Esplanade.  Saw Etihad Stadium again, as we went there for a footy game on Saturday night.  We watched St. Kilda Saints against West Coast Eagles.
I passed the Victoria Police Museum, Immigration Museum, the aquarium and eventually off at Flinders Street.  I went into St. Paul's Cathedral and said a prayer of thanks for all I have in my life and a blessing for those traveling.
Back on past Federation Square, Treasury Gardens, Parliament House, Melbourne Museum, Royal Exhibition and State Library.  Wish I had time to go to Old Melbourne Gool which is where Ned Kelly was hung and other criminals were kept. 
Stopped back at 'La Trobe St', where I started.  Picked up the Christmas ornament I selected earlier and then back to my hotel to get my bag from the locker.
Grabbed the Sky bus, then to Southern Cross to transfer to a bigger bus to the Tullamarine airport.
My sisters & I in Melbourne

Riding the tram

self portrait

St. James church


Etihad Stadium

St. Paul's Cathedral

Beautiful interior

Flinder's Street Train Station
Harbour Esplanade
Flight home was uneventful and boring as flying Jetstar there is no TV, music, complimentary drink or snack.  Did arrive in Cairns to get some photos of the sunset.

Cairns sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment